Surprising Ways to Fight Cavities
Cavities or tooth decay occur when plaque, the sticky substance that forms on teeth and around your gums combines with sugars or starches from the foods we eat. The acid from this combination will attack tooth enamel. But, tooth decay is easy to prevent. Here is a list of ways to fight tooth decay, including some surprises.
- Brushing your teeth– This is the most essential way to prevent tooth decay. Brushing your teeth twice a day using toothpaste with fluoride is an easy way to maintain your oral health.
- Floss Daily– Food debris gets stuck in our teeth with every meal. Flossing is the best way to remove this debris and keep your teeth and gums healthy.
- Eat Healthy– Limiting your consumption of sugary drinks and sweets will help prevent cavities.
- Visit your Dentist regularly– A dentist can easily detect a cavities through oral exams or an x-ray. Regular cleanings can help you stay on top of your oral hygiene.
- Have Sealants Placed– Dental sealants are a protective coating that is applied to the biting surfaces on teeth. These sealants protect the tooth from shielding against bacteria and plaque.
- Use a Mouthrinse– Anti-microbial mouth rinses are clinically proven to reduce plaque. Swish some rinse around after brushing or eating can
- Chew Sugarless Gum– Chewing sugarless gum is a good way to prevent cavities too! Chewing gum will increase the flow of saliva in your mouth. The American Dental Association awarded their Seal of Acceptance to Wrigley’s Orbit, Eclipse and Extra for helping prevent cavities.
Here are few surprising an controversial ways to prevent cavities:
- Eating Cheese– The calcium and a protein called casein in cheese are said to prevent cavities from occurring.
- Raisins and Wine– There are chemicals in these two items that may actively fight the oral bacteria in your mouth that may lead to tooth decay.
- Using a Straw– If drinking sugary drinks, researchers found that drinking through a straw and bypassing the teeth can help prevent tooth decay.
All of these are helpful ways to prevent tooth decay. Maintaining your oral health is something Mallard Creek Family Dentistry strives to do everyday. To learn more visit http://www.mouthhealthy.org/en/ or call us at 704-596-0021.